Robust Recipe: White Bean Chicken Chili
This soup has been a favorite of my family’s for a while. It’s low in fat, a great source of protein with lean chicken breast and low fat white beans and a great source of fiber. The soup has a unique taste that is sweet yet spicy from the corn and cayenne pepper.
Anyway, I had my parents over for this soup and they loved it. My mom and I were talking about how different each batch turns out, some more spicy or sweet than others.
It’s a great soup to make a large batch and freeze half of it for later and/or store in small containers to take to work for lunch. It’s a perfect soup to stay warm with inside while a cold winter snow storm is blowing outside! So throw all the ingredients in a soup kettle for White Bean Chicken Chili and curl up in a blanket with a book, relax and in a couple of hours you’ll have a great tasting healthy soup!
1) 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast
2) 2 cans northern beans, drained and rinsed
3) 16oz package frozen while corn (I used a mix of yellow and white corn)
4) 2 4oz cans green chilies
5) 34oz low sodium, fat free, chicken broth (I only had vegetable broth, it works too!)
6) 1 white onion, chopped
7) 1 TSP cayenne pepper
8) 2 TBS oregano
9) 1 1/2 TSP cumin
10) Fresh cracked pepper to taste
11) Light sour cream
12) Whole grain tortilla chips
1) Cut chicken breasts up into bite size pieces, cook on non-stick pan. Or you could boil the chicken until cooked through and use a kitchen aid mixer to shred the chicken.
2) Add all ingredients except light sour cream and whole grain chips into soup kettle, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for about 2 hours. Or add ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low for 4-8 hours or high for 2-4 hours.
Be sure to share and enjoy!
Let’s Be Robust!