Robust Recipe: Healthy Taco Soup!
It’s that time of year for football, hockey, and basketball parties. Taco soup is a easy and tasty meal to serve that’s sure to please all of your guests no matter what team wins or loses. Being high in protein, fiber, iron, and vitamin C, it will leave you feeling satisfied. It also freezes nicely so if you have left-overs you can save some for a lazy day.
1) 1lb lean ground turkey (93% or 95%)
2) 1-2 can(s) black beans, low sodium
3) 1-2 can(s) pinto beans, low sodium
4) 1 bag frozen corn (16oz)
5) 2 fresh tomatoes (optional)
6) 20 oz Pace Picante sauce or 20 oz salsa (mild, medium or spicy)
7) 1-2 green. yellow or red pepper(s), chopped up
8) 1-2 can(s) Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chili’s) (mild, original or spicy)
9) Small onion, chopped
10) Preferably homemade taco seasoning ( 1 tbs chili powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp red crushed pepper, 1/4 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp black pepper). You can use taco seasoning packet as well however it tastes WAY better and, not to mention, MUCH healthier when you make your own.
11) Whole grain tortilla chips
12) Light sour cream
13) Colby jack cheese, shredded
14) Black olives (optional)
15) Avocado, sliced (optional)
1) Cook ground turkey using non-stick pan or cooking spray
2) Add cooked ground turkey and all other ingredients, add liquid from the canned beans-do not drain. (except chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, black olives, avocado) in crock pot on low and cook for 2-6 hours. You can also use a soup kettle over the stove, simmer for 2-3 hours.
3) Serve topped with light sour cream, whole grain tortilla chips, shredded cheese, avocado and black olives.
Share and Enjoy!
Let’s Be Robust!