Healthy Eating Tip: The Most Important Meal of the Day!
Yep! That’s breakfast! It helps get our metabolism up and running. It keeps us satisfied so by lunch time we are not starved and tempted to over-eat. Breakfast also helps keep our mind thinking clearly. It’s really amazing how beneficial eating food in the AM can be for the body.
Many people don’t like eating breakfast so they wait until mid morning or lunch to eat… People skip for a variety of reasons: not hungry, don’t like breakfast foods, forget, don’t make enough time for eating…. Some people eat breakfast however are choosing foods that may be lacking in nutritional value. Possibly, eating doughnuts, sugary cereal, coffee cake, pastries, muffins, or greasy breakfast sandwiches from the local fast food joint or gas station….
Here’s my challenge to those breakfast skippers and captain crunchers out there. Try to schedule in a healthy breakfast for the next month. If you want, track your weight or keep a journal of how you feel throughout the day. I’m betting L-B’s (pounds) will decrease while productivity increases.
Here are 14 nutrient packed breakfast ideas.
1) 1/2-1 cup cottage cheese with canned (in light syrup or in own fruit juice, OF course :)… none of that heavy syrup stuff ) peaches or mandarin oranges or pineapple (by all means, use fresh fruit too!)
2) Whole grain toast (1-2 slices) or English muffin with natural peanut butter (<2tbs) and sliced banana
3) Greek yogurt (if you don’t like Greek, try a ~100 calorie light yogurt) and piece of fruit (apple, orange, banana, berries)
4) Greek (or light) yogurt parfait- yogurt, 1/2 cup berries of your choice (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries), ~2 tbs chopped almonds and/or walnuts
5) Hard boiled egg, and whole grain granola bar (Kashi, Nature Valley, Nutri-grain or make your own granola bars!)
6) 1/2 cup oatmeal, top oatmeal with <1/4 cup granola or trail mix or dried fruit, 1 cup skim/lowfat milk to drink
7) 1 cup Cheerios or Bran cereal with 1/2 banana and 1 cup skim/ lowfat milk
8) Scrambled eggs: 1 full egg, 2 egg whites, veggies of your choice (mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, broccoli, asparagus, spinach), fresh cracked pepper, and <1/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice (low fat mozzarella, Swiss, cheddar, Colby jack…).. Make an omelet with same ingredients. *
9) 1/2 cup cottage cheese mixed with 6oz light or Greek yogurt (sounds gross, actually pretty good if you don’t mind the texture, try applesauce too), add a fruit on the side.
10) Light or Greek yogurt mixed with 1/2 packet fruit flavored oatmeal and piece of fruit or add berries
11) 1 cup kefir, whole grain toast, <2tbs natural peanut butter
12) Kefir smoothie- fruit of your choice (fresh or frozen- mango strawberries and blueberries), spinach, ice, oatmeal or ground flax seed…make it your own- smoothies are hard to mess up 😉
13) Greek (or light) yogurt smoothie- fruit of your choice (fresh or frozen), ice, spinach, yogurt, oatmeal or ground flax seed…make it your own- smoothies are hard to mess up 😉
14) Whole wheat English muffin, light cheese spread (like Laughing Cow Cheese) and an over easy egg *
Let me know how the challenge goes, if you so choose to partake 🙂 Otherwise, hope you enjoy some of these breakfast ideas.
Let’s Be Robust!
* Prepare eggs without using added fat. Use a non-stick pan or cooking spray. Also if you have high cholesterol, it’s recommended to keep egg yolk consumption to 2 egg yolks per week or less (use egg whites or egg substitute to help reduce yolk consumption).